The mission of Calhoun Connects is to provide information that helps Calhoun County residents to foster awareness, belonging, and community. This project is one of the many ways that the Calhoun County Library connects people with information, resources, and experiences that improve lives by engaging, educating, equipping, and empowering our diverse community. Calhoun Connects is a free information resource that does not represent the business community, engage in any political advocacy, or provide a public forum.
Calhoun Connects is the result of input provided by residents, community organizations, county and municipal government officials, and business owners in our county during six strategic planning sessions. There were several important needs that were identified through these sessions and which Calhoun Connects works to address:
- Residents and organizations want an efficient way to access and share community information.
- It can be hard to know what's going on across the county. Locating information can take a lot of time and effort, and sometimes info can't be found.
- Civic participation is key to an informed and engaged community.
- New residents need info that helps them meet people and plug in to community organizations.
- It can be hard for community organizations to choose dates and get the word out to people about events.
- Limited community participation in and support of organizations and their projects/fundraisers undermines efforts to improve the community.
- Residents want to see better engagement with local community organizations and businesses.
- Many community organizations desire to recruit new members to their organizations to thrive.
- Local organizations, sports clubs, and projects depend on the local business community's support.
- Lack of support for local businesses hurts owners, employees and their families, and the local tax base that funds essential services.
- Residents see quality of life amenities as essential to a vibrant future, yet perception of our quality of life is dependent on access to information.
- Lack of awareness of community events, local assets, organizations, and services affect perceptions of the quality of life here.
- Perceptions on quality of life are a critical part of decisions to move to, visit, or invest in our county.
- Residents want to see greater pride and involvement in the community.
- Residents want to see a community engaged to in efforts to reduce litter and increase beautification and revitalization efforts.
- Leaders of community service organizations want to expand their reach and impact to improve lives.
- Efforts to raise the community up and address poverty and other immediate needs in Calhoun County need volunteers.
- Community conversations around points of pride promote engagement, helping our community build a better future .
Calhoun Connects is not a Chamber of Commerce, a platform for political advocacy, or a public forum. It is a community-directed effort with hopes to eventually bring information to anyone that signs up to get text messages. This information resource hopes to help you plug in, know what's going on, connect with others, and learn about the many things that make our County such a great place.